The work is on track for completion by the end of the year. "Tree trimming is some of the most important and effective work we do every year to help maintain our power system," said Edward Shuttleworth, regional president of Ohio Edison. "This work pays dividends year-round by reducing tree-related service disruptions, which is paramount these days since people are spending more time in their homes during the coronavirus health emergency."
Tree trimming is being conducted in the following counties and communities throughout the year:
· Ashland – Ashland, Hayesville, Loundenville, Mifflin, Nakin, Perrysville, Polk and Savannah
· Clark – New Carlisle and Springfield
· Columbiana – Guilford Lake, Leetonia, Lisbon, Salem and Washingtonville
· Erie – Berlin Heights, Castalia, Huron and Sandusky
· Geauga – Montville
· Huron – Monroeville and Norwalk
· Lake – Madison Township
· Lorain – Columbia Station, Elyria, Grafton, Lorain, North Ridgeville and South Amherst
· Madison – London
· Mahoning – Austintown, Beloit, Boardman, Campbell, Canfield, Ellsworth, Lake Milton, Liberty, Mineral Ridge, Sebring, North Jackson and Youngstown
· Marion – Caledonia, Green Camp, Kirkpatrick, Marion, Morral and Prospect
· Medina – Medina, Poe, Seville, Valley City and Wadsworth
· Ottawa – Lakeside/Marblehead, Port Clinton
· Portage – Atwater Township, Deerfield Township, Diamond, Edinburg Township, Kent, Mogadore, Randolph Township, Ravenna, Ravenna Township, Rootstown Township, Suffield Township, West Branch State Park, Windham and Yale
· Richland – Bellville, Butler, Lexington Township, Lucas, Mansfield, Olivesburg, Pavonia and Shenandoah
· Stark – Alliance, Canal Fulton, Hartville, Jackson Township, Lawrence Township, Lexington, Marlboro Township and Perry Township
· Summit – Barberton, Chapel Hill, Clinton, Copley, East Akron, Elizabeth Park Valley, Ellet, Firestone Park, Goodyear Heights, Green, Kenmore, Lakemore, Middlebury, North Hill, Norton, Peninsula, Richfield, South Akron, Springfield Township and Tallmadge
· Trumbull – Bloomfield, Brookfield, Cortland, Kinsman, Lordstown, Masury, McDonald, Newton Falls and Warren
· Union – Byhalia, Essex, Magnetic Springs, Pharisburg and Richwood
· Wayne – Doylestown
· Wyandot – Wyandot
Tree trimming is done on a four-year cycle. The program includes inspecting vegetation near the lines to ensure the trees are pruned in a manner that helps preserve the health of the tree while also maintaining safety near electric facilities. Trees that present a danger or are diseased may be removed.
As part of its notification process, Ohio Edison works with municipalities to inform them of tree trimming schedules. In addition, customers living in areas along company rights-of-way also are notified prior to vegetation management work being done.
The vegetation management work is conducted by certified forestry experts under the company’s direction, including Asplundh Tree Expert Company, Davey Tree Expert Company, Nelson Tree Service Inc. PennLine Service, Townsend Tree Service and Wright Tree Service.
Ohio Edison serves more than 1 million customers across 34 Ohio counties. Follow Ohio Edison on Twitter @OhioEdison and on Facebook at https://link.edgepilot.com/s/56ed4640/eoLZpibbukWMoxj0tgr4Dg?u=http://www.facebook.com/OhioEdison.
FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. The company’s transmission subsidiaries operate approximately 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp or online at https://link.edgepilot.com/s/0aa106ac/dd5hUsAUVkCOzuYgu-fFWQ?u=http://www.firstenergycorp.com/.
Editor’s Note: Photos of workers using bucket trucks to trim trees near FirstEnergy power lines are available for download on Flickr. A video explaining FirstEnergy’s vegetation management techniques can also be found on YouTube.
View original content to download multimedia:https://link.edgepilot.com/s/9b43db25/6-Bc8XCr7EKk-sP0hE8zlw?u=http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ohio-edisons-2020-tree-trimming-program-to-enhance-service-reliability-301078253.html
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.
Kirk W. Gardner
Regional External Affairs
FirstEnergy Service Company
1910 W. Market Street, Building 1
Akron, OH 44313