I want to install a swimming pool.

A Residential Construction Application is required for all new home construction projects, including but not limited to, pools (ABOVE AND INGROUND), gazebos, decks, additions, accessory buildings, such as garages and sheds, and accessory uses, such as greenhouses.

Steps to Obtaining a Residential Construction Permit

  1. Determine your Zoning District.
  2. Determine your required structure setbacks. If you are a Corner Lot, you will have (2) front-yard setbacks, (1) rear-yard setback and (1) side yard setback. To determine the setbacks on a Corner Lot, the rear yard shall be considered as parallel to the street upon which the lot has its least dimension. On both corner lots and interior lots, the rear yard shall be, in all cases, at the opposite end of the lot from the front yard. 
  3. Swimming pools shall be located entirely to the rear of the main building and shall not be located closer than fifteen (15) feet from the rear and side lot lines.
  4. Provide a plot drawing showing your structure with the required setbacks indicated on the drawing. The drawing can be professional or hand-written. When indicating setbacks, please measure to the proposed structure.
  5. If you utilize a septic system, approval from Summit County Public Health is required prior to permit issuance. The application can be found online.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER: A Building Permit from the Summit County Building Department is required. Contact the Summit County Building Department for information regarding Summit County standards and permitting requirements. Additionally, we recommend that you review Home Owner Association standards and/or Deed Restrictions where applicable.

Enclosures: Private swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas, containing water more than 24 inches (610 mm) in depth shall be completely surrounded by a fence or barrier at least 48 inches (1219 mm) in height above the finished ground level measured on the side of the barrier away from the pool. Gates and doors in such barriers shall be self-closing and self-latching. Where the self-latching device is less than 54 inches (1372 mm) above the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate. Self-closing and self-latching gates shall be maintained such that the gate will positively close and latch when released from an open position of 6 inches (152 mm) from the gatepost. No existing pool enclosures shall be removed, replaced or changed in a manner that reduces its effectiveness as a safety barrier. Private swimming pools, spas, and hot tubs must also have a cover over the surface of the water when the swimming pool, spa, or hot tub is not being used.

Show All Answers

1. How do I determine my Zoning District?
2. I want to build a new home.
3. I want to build a deck.
4. I want to build/enlarge my garage.
5. I want to build/install a shed.
6. I want to install a swimming pool.
7. I want to install a fence.
8. I want to add/replace: shingles, windows, siding, HVAC, plumbing, hot water heaters
9. I want to remodel the interior of my home.
10. I want to operate a business out of my home.
11. Does the Township have a service to help maintain private properties?
12. Who do I contact if I believe there is a maintenance issue with a property?
13. What happens when I call about a violation?
14. Do I have to give my name when I call about a violation?
15. I live in a subdivision with a homeowner association (HOA), will the Code Enforcement Division enforce the association’s bylaws, subdivision restrictions, or deed restrictions?
16. Can I make an anonymous complaint?
17. I phoned in a complaint weeks ago. Why has nothing been done to the property?
18. What are some of the things that would be considered a violation?
19. Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
20. What are Zoning Maps and standards
21. What is a Zoning Resolution?
22. Can I have Chickens?